Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hong Kong in October, 7


Out in Kowloon

October 22

I had some business to attend to today. I had to go back to Hankow Road to pick up the laundry we left last Thursday and to drop some more off. A linen suit is great in this climate, but there are only so many days in a row you can sweat in it.

On the way back from the cleaner, I stopped in at Sam’s to ask what time would be best for my second fitting. They said 2:30.

After the laundry run, I had to mail a post card to Karl, Jeanie, Emily and Wiley. Karl likes post cards. I had hoped to mail this one from Macau, but I was there on the weekend and the post offices were closed. So they will get a Macau card mailed from Kowloon.

I also mailed a birthday card to my sister Cindy. She doesn’t have a computer at home, so she doesn’t get my e-mails. She may not even know where I am. I hope the Hong Kong stamps and postmark let her know.

I walked on Mody Road, which was very busy and kind of cool. But it was only when I got back to Haiphong Road, overhung with signs in Korean, Arabic, Chinese, and English, that it hit me: this place isn’t really like New York at all. It’s twelve time zones away. And yes there is a desperate rudeness on the street that reminds me of getting to the office, but it smells different, for one thing. It’s more dangerous to cross the street, for another.

I don’t know if motor vehicles have the right of way here over pedestrians or if they just take it. I had a confrontation with a taxi outside the hotel. We were crossing and he thought he could intimidate me. Hell, I cross the street in New York. I’m not scared. I stood there and threatened to key his paint if he fucked with me. That felt liberating.



We climbed a set of stairs to a restaurant row that may be the Lan Kwai Fong of Kowloon. The barriest looking bar to me was in Bahama Mama’s. We sat on stools, but it was early. The kid behind the bar seemed to be studiously ignoring us. I’ve been through this nonsense in New York, so we walked out.

Later, in the 8 Irish Guys pub, Joanna told me that usually the customer addresses the server first.  I am so used to jokers getting in my face offering to sell me a custom suit, watch, or bag, that I assumed the business style here was all-out aggressive.

They go out of their way not to be like that, Joanna told me. Clumsy, awkward Yankee indeed. I plan to go back to Bahama Mama’s, ask Joanna to translate my apology, and overtip that poor kid. It ain’t good enough, but it’s all I can do.

We went to a Taiwanese place, also across the street from the hotel, for dinner. They put a little appetizer on the table, peanuts with what looked like potato sticks. But no, they were crispy, dried little fish. The tiny black dots were their eyes. Much better than potato sticks.

I ordered pig kidney in sesame oil. The waitress kept trying to press other stuff on me. Joanna explained later that the lady was afraid that either I wouldn’t like it or it wouldn’t be enough food. White rice and pig kidney, I found, is very filling.

Being a wise-ass, I tried to ask for beer in Cantonese. I got the vowel wrong and the waitress thought I wanted rice wine. I found out later that even Joanna, who should know better, was impressed. I asked for “bah tsau.” They heard “bok tsau” (white, or rice, wine). I wanted beer, “beh tsau.” I disappointed everybody.

The beer menu was in Chinese only. The language barrier was pretty high right then. I ordered something that Joanna didn’t recognize and we thought was a local Chinese beer. Turns out, it was Guinness Export Extra. 

This is a sweet stout, very much different from the traditional dry Irish stout that Guinness is known for. It tastes more like an English stout. Maybe it’s called export because nobody will drink it in Ireland.

After that we went bar-hopping. It was about seven and several places were still closed. One place served us anyway.

Today’s photo is about the language barrier: Be careful what you advertise, if you don’t hire a native speaker to translate.



Now, I’ve polished off my beer supply at the hotel. Good night, all.

Harry

Oct. 22

It's a good thing Joanna is around to keep you out of real trouble! Pig kidney, indeed!

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment