Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Brain in Spain, parte cinco



 Grail Legends
December 27

I don’t know which was the bigger event, photographing St. Vincent’s arm or the Holy Grail. I got to do both on Thursday.

Four and a half euros get you a recorded tour of the Valencia cathedral in your favorite language. Each chapel and other architectural highlight has its number and you key that into your player. Since I chose English, I heard a man with a very pleasant Brit accent pointing out details.

The original parts of the church building date back to the 13th century to a dedication, I believe, by Jaime I el Conquistador. Like all big structures, the cathedral added parts as time went by. Now it is a sprawling amoeba even attached by a bridge to the neighboring church, Our Lady of the Forsaken.

There was a major restoration a few years ago, and as always happens with these ancient monuments, they rediscovered stuff. For instance, the restorers uncovered some brilliant early frescoes in the ceiling of the sanctuary. Nobody remembered they were there, and they had been covered by baroque decorations added in the 18th century. I don’t know why, but I find that kind of story fascinating.


It reminds me of the tours you can take through the foundations of the York and Geneva cathedrals. 

Some of the side chapels were restored to their original Gothic bones, others not.

There is a lot of cool stuff in the cathedral.

I knew there were Borgia popes and have been watching the TV mini series about the family on Netflix. That’s how I learned, for instance, that the Borgias were actually Spanish, not Italian. What I didn’t know until my tour is that there is a Borgia saint. Really. 

Francisco Borja (the original Spanish form of the name) was a duke who left home to become a Jesuit. There is a chapel dedicated to him in the cathedral, and it contains two Goyas.

I had read that the St. Vincent’s arm was “behind the altar” at the cathedral, but being an American, I wondered if it was considered an invasion or privacy or otherwise politically incorrect to let people see it. 

Not to worry. It’s in a glass reliquary in front of an altar called the Chapel of the Resurrection, which is in the rotunda directly behind the sanctuary. Number 12 on the tour.


His are not the only body parts. One of the side chapels off the nave is dedicated to St. Thomas of Villanueva, a sainted former archbishop of Valencia. His effigy has a window in the chest where his skull is preserved. A glass box below him has his bones on display.


According to my narrator, what is now the Chapel of the Holy Grail was built as a place to hold the tombs of bishops. It wasn’t attached to the main church until a corridor was built later.

Everything goes by two names here. The Valencian for Holy Grail, I believe, is Sant Calze. Santo Caliz is Spanish. I know this only because there is a street outside the cathedral named for it in Valencian on the map and in Spanish on the road sign.

The tradition of the Grail says that St. Peter brought the chalice to Rome, where it was venerated until a later Pope sent it west to protect it during the persecutions of Valerian in the third century. 

Everything after the Holy Grail is kind of anticlimactic to relate. Still wonderful, of course, because this is Valencia, but hey, it’s not the Holy Grail.

We rested over some squid and Rioja and then climbed the 201 steps (Joanna counted; I didn’t even try.) to the top of the Micalet, the Little Michael bell tower of the church. We were surprised at how many of the buildings we could recognize after only a few days in town. 


 Hey, there’s the market. That was great. Let’s go there next. And so we did, but it was closed. They were through killing eels for the day.

Later on, we ran into the demonstrators again, but this time they were blocking the streets in front of City Hall. 

The Grail is hard to see, even though it’s in a lighted glass case. It is high to your left in the altar niche, but there is a large silver screen on the altar. When we were there, two priests were in prayer venerating the transubstantiated Host. At first, I mistook the monstrance for a possible container of the chalice.

I moved to the right side of the chapel and sat on the old stone bench to see what the monks felt. Joanna came over to me and pointed. There, you can see it now.

Photos are permitted in the Chapel of the Holy Grail, and that actually surprised me. 

I rested the camera on the back of a wooden choir bench and used no flash. The fathers, after all, were still praying.

On reflection, I have to say the Holy Grail tops everything else. Grainy though it is, here is the photo of the day.



King Arthur, eat your heart out. I’ve seen the Holy Grail.

Harry


Dec. 28

That can't be the real grail.  Everyone knows it was lost forever when Elsa took it past the seal.

Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment