Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Arpa, Parc i Ping-Pong



 Pure Gothic
Jan. 2

More on yesterday’s forays:

Parc Guell (rhymes with “way,” at least sometimes), as I say, is well worth the labor to get there. What’s more, the effort climbing up makes food, even water, taste better on the climb down.

I got to sit by a Gaudí colonnade and hear a harpist play. I was keeping an eye on the pigeons overhead. A man outside the Casa Battllo earlier in the day for some reason told me that I had bird droppings on my coat. He helped me take my slicker off and brush it. I'm pretty sure there was never a problem at all. He may have been high and thought it was funny. He may have thought he could pick my pocket, but there was nothing in the pocket of my slicker. But I was still keeping an eye nonetheless on those pigeons. 


While I was trying to find my way out, I passed a ping-pong table. This one wasn’t in use. I guess no one wants to do all that climbing to play ping-pong. They’d be too worn out for it.

Most people were on a terrace and what appeared from my vantage point to be a small amphitheater to hear a band play.


The rest of them were walking trails. Maybe they were trying to find their way out, too.

By the way, those folks I followed to the park were up on the top when I was there. They were taking photos of each other. They were English.

When you’re in a tourist district far from home, you just assume there’s going to be a language barrier.

A few days earlier I was in a big park not far from the hotel. It is also beautifully landscaped, but more traditional than Gaudí’s work. Although it does contain a stand of plane trees that look like something Gaudí made.


There were half a dozen ping-pong tables near the gate where I came in, and they were all busy. Maybe ping-pong here is like basketball in cities back home. You go to the park for a pickup game.

The park also contains an Arc de Trionf that I was able to photograph at night.


The park is called Ciutadella, because it sits on the site of an old fort. It has natural science museums, gardens, and a zoo. The government of Catalunya meets in the parliament building next to the park.


Another funny thing happened the other day. I was looking for a place with cheap tapas in the Barri Gòtic, when a young man with trimmed hair and beard comes up to me and asks what I want.

Remember, it’s common here, when you read the menu by the door, that someone comes out of a restaurant and makes a sales pitch. So I told the guy “tapas.”

He says “marijuan’, hashish.” 

I don’t know what the rules are here. I’ve smelled the faint aroma of distant cannabis on the air a few times in the narrow streets. But I’m sure this ain’t Amsterdam. 

This is the land where Franco died. They still have a police force called La Guardia Civil. So I skipped the marijuan’, hashish, or oregano he was hawking. 

Chicken-shit? Maybe. But hey, I’m still not in Spanish jail.

Last night, after I sent the e-mail, I went to the Old City and took a different direction from the Metro station. It brought me to another monument of Barcelona, the basilica of Santa Maria del Mar. 

According to the tourism board, it was built over the short span of 55 years in the middle of the 14th century, and is “the only surviving church in the pure Catalan Gothic style.” 

I have no clear idea of what all that implies, but it’s a relatively austere church that hasn’t been Baroqued up, like some others I’ve seen here.

The lights started to wink out shortly after I went in, but I managed to get close to the sanctuary. Eight or a dozen columns support a groin vault towering above the main altar. All that heavy stone looks perfectly graceful.

I wandered more of those little streets, including a few that run under upper stories of buildings. In New York when you do that, you’re passing under a bridge connecting floors way over hour head.  It’s not the same feeling as passing under a timbered ceiling a dozen feet off the ground.

I’ve visited a few old cities in Europe: London, Prague, Valencia, Barcelona. They all have them. I don’t recall seeing a public thoroughfare like that anywhere in the States. There must be some. Does anyone know of any? I’d take a trip just to walk through it.

After I got myself good and lost, I tried to retrace my steps. Much to my surprise, I was able to do it. Of course, I was still running on only two glasses of wine at the time, although I was starting to wear out. The heights of Park Guell had me feeling my age, but I was too damned stubborn to stay inside the hotel. 

I found a place that serves paella for one. Most restaurants will make it for a minimum of two people.

I had been walking around town and wanted to wash my hands before I handled any olives, so I asked for the “sala des hombres,” which is an example of my language barrier. It’s a take on French “salle des hommes” part way translated in to Spanish. Then I asked in English for “the washroom.”

The waiter heard “mushroom” and started to open the menu.

Then I remembered the universal word, “toilet.”

Damn. I felt like such a rube. But I did get the directions and found it.

I had a variant called arroz negro. It is spiced a little differently from paella Valenciana and has the ingredients of paella de marisco—shrimp and other seafood. It is black because it is made with squid ink.

When we were in the bar at the airport hotel in Madrid, Joanna and I watched a cooking show where the host something similar with squid, ink, and rice.

By that time, I was beat. I limped back to the Metro station and then got back to the hotel, where I played with the computer for a while and finished that bottle of wine I started the other day. 

It was about midnight when I sacked out. I slept till 9:30. 

I’m going to stroll out to the subway soon and maybe go to one of the markets.

Be well all. And again, Feliz Año Nuevo.

Harry




No comments:

Post a Comment