Monday, January 13, 2014

Paris Encore


Oct. 13, 2013
Took the train back to Gare de Lyon and a cab to the Hotel Bellevue. It seems that Sunday is pedestrian mall day and half the side streets are blocked off. The driver tried a few ways to from the boulevard to Rue d’Orsel, and finally bypassed a no-entry sign and ran up the block.
 The hotel is clean. That’s all I can say for it so far. The street in front is ripped up by the electric utility, but that’s not the hotel’s fault.
We arrived a little after one. The room wasn’t ready. We could leave our bags, but not anything containing computers, because the hotel wouldn’t take responsibility for them. We had to sign a waiver and put our bags in the breakfast room along with a dozen others. We had to lug our carry-ons.
We went for a walk. The neighborhood is colorful as hell. We’re a block down from the park at the foot of the Sacre Coeur hill. The funicular is a short stroll from the Bellevue. One of those blocked-off streets was so crowded that I didn’t want to attempt it with the bags.
I asked Joanna what she’d like to do. “I need to eat something right away,” she said.We headed for a couple of cafes up the street. On the way we passed a confusing store with high-heeled shoes and weird-looking toys in the window. Maybe they couldn’t decide what line of business to be in.
We went to L’Anvers du Decor. You can tell it’s a decent cafe because it has an awning. Joanna had soupe l’oignon. I’m really working hard to get that out in French. I had cassolette de pocreau (maybe) chevre. On the English-language menu that’s leek and goat cheese bake. It was a baked omelette with goat cheese and leek. Very good.
The ripped-up street isn’t the hotel’s fault, but the dysfunctional bathroom, on the other hand, is. The hinges on the toilet seat are broken. The seat slides off.
The receptionist tells me that she was unaware of the problem and will call someone on Monday to fix it. There is no guarantee that it can be fixed on Monday. One red flag.
We can change rooms. OK. Let me see if there is a room open.
A half hour later the phone rings. There is no open room today, we can change tomorrow. Two red flags.
We have to be out by noon, so the hotel can have the room free. Six red flags.
I was starting to get suspicious. Maybe the room has been this way for months and they keep giving people the same runaround. You move in; you put up with it or you move the next day. Like they say in “Star Wars,” I have a bad feeling about this, Luke.
We hung around the hotel late in the afternoon. Joanna’s nephew Thomas, who was transferred to Paris by his company two months ago, was planning to meet us at the hotel. So Joanna phoned him to warn about the disrupted traffic and the obstruction at the entrance. She put me on the line to make arrangements because she believes I have a better picture of the area than she does.
Well, I did in fact know the name of the nearest Metro station, Anvers. Thomas knew it too. He said he and Barrett would be at the hotel sometime shortly before six.
I was hoping Thomas might suggest we meet somewhere else because I was mildly embarrassed that I had brought Joanna to this hotel.
I finished the previous e-mail message and sent it, then headed out for an ATM. After that, I decided to look for the Anvers station.
This must be the Anvers neighborhood because everything along Boulevard Rochechouart seems to be called Anvers. The station is on the island in the middle of the boulevard not far from the hotel. We may try a trip underground. It is a straight run to L’Etoile and one transfer to the Louvre, where we hope to go at least once more this trip.
When I got back to the hotel Thomas and Barrett were in the lobby, but hadn’t called Joanna yet.
The hotel has a list of six or seven restaurants that it recommends. We decided to head in the direction of the first one on the list, La Villa des Abbesses, on the Rue Des Abbesses.
But first we went up the tourist street to see the chocolate museum. Not a museum in the conventional sense, it’s a chocolate store with extremely fancy products and some extraordinary specimens under glass, like a chocolate rigged ship and an entire replica of the Cathedral of Notre Dame. I didn’t see a chocolate Quasimodo, but maybe he was grabbing a rope in the other tower.


We passed a display of elaborate chocolate figures, some with a Halloween theme, and also chocolate high-heeled shoes that you could fill with chocolate bon-bons. The window we passed earlier suddenly made sense. If you’re making stuff out of chocolate, you can do any damned thing you want.
We checked menus at this place and that, and actually wound up after all at La Villa des Abbesses. We all had snails and entrecote with frites.
Entrecote is a tough, fatty, and therefore very satisfying cut of beef. Don’t know what part of the beef, but very good.
For some reason—maybe because she doesn’t drink—Joanna never orders wine. So in my usual role of bad influence, I ordered a Saint Emilion for her. I had a decent Bordeaux, followed by a Cotes du Rhone. (Forgot to take notes and so didn’t get the origin.)
Thomas and Barrett are great guys, full of fun, smart, and downright good company. I had met them briefly at their wedding reception in New York summer before last. Joanna and a guest were invited.


We talked about that. I don’t know how many people were there, but like all events of that sort, the hosts didn’t get a chance to do anything but talk to the guests. They fed us, but didn’t get to have any dinner. 
On reflection, I am amazed that Thomas recognized me when I came into the hotel and saw him.
After dinner, when we strolled back to the hotel, I had the sudden urge to buy wine. I ducked into a store that was a real surprise. I bought one bottle that was less than 4 euro: Le Petit Pont, reserve 2012, a Pays D’Oc, “mise en bouteille a F34450 par les domaines Robert Vic - Vias- France.” The other wine is more upscale, about 5.70 euro. The label says Barathym 2012, de la Garrigue d’Aumelas, from Langue d’Oc.
I’m putting all this detail in because I have no idea what it signifies, but if I poison myself, Larry may suggest an antidote.
Bon soir, tout.

Oct. 14
Dear Grasshopper.

The wine sounds safe enough—both are estate bottled and from the Languedoc in southwest France, a mixed bag source of sometimes interesting wines at value prices. My My guess is, unless they are varietal bottlings, they're probably made from local grapes in blends similar to what you were drinking in the Rhone. 

And, just in case you're curious, St. Emilion is also a Bordeaux.

I'm more concerned about what kind of parasites you might pick up at that hotel! Perhaps a haz-mat suit for when you're in the bathroom? Have you put the health department on speed dial yet?

Have fun!
Larry

Oct. 15
To my great relief and unbelief, the hotel is very clean.

The city is going to cut the electricity tomorrow from 8:30 to 12:30, so I'm clearing out early tomorrow. perhaps I'll go back to the Louvre for the day.

Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment