Saturday, January 23, 2016

ISO the Wild and Wonderful



July 2, 2014
Just a quick note from the road.
I’m back at the Best Western in North East, Md., on my way to West Virginia, which, as they advertise, is Wild and Wonderful. 
There was a little delay for rush-hour traffic on the Garden State Parkway, but then things loosened up considerably on the Turnpike.
I had hoped to get to Steak and Main in North East by 7:30, about two hours from home, but that was way too optimistic. It's embarrassing because I have done this so many times that the Taurus should know the way on its own by now. Realistically, it takes closer to two and a half hours.
I got to the restaurant about eight. Jamy and Bob were at the bar with a couple of their friends. I had never seen them before, but they recognized me as I came through the door and nodded to my sister.
Jamy had told them her brother would be the guy in a tie and jacket. “I forgot the hat,” she told me later.
I had a Loose Cannon IPA with my raw oysters. I followed that with a black ale from somewhere and a rare New York strip steak, which was delicious. So was the ale, which had a hint of bitter chocolate in it, as many black ales do.
Now, since I’m headed for West Virginia next and they don’t have real food there, I threw in dessert tonight, some kind of fragrant apple cobbler served warm with vanilla ice cream. Decadent? Yes. Perfect? Yes.
There was something in the cobbler besides cinnamon that made it outstanding. I wanted to guess cardamom, but truth to tell, I have no idea. I had that with the Steak and Main house pale ale, which is also full of flavor. 
It’s past 10:30. I think it’s time for me to go to sleep.
Good night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment