Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hello, Singapore


Dec. 21, 2013
Got here just fine. The planes were late at every stage, so connections were easy.
It was two hours and change to Chicago, 18 hours to Kong Kong, and another four to Singapore.
By the time we got to Hong Kong, I was so tired, I didn't even want a beer. there was still a little gout left in my feet, so I took a pain killer and don't remember much about that last leg of the trip. I think I was actually able to sleep a bit.
We got to the Orchid Hotel around three in the morning. Joanna was in much better shape than I was. Maybe she was able to get more sleep during the trip. Probably it's because she is tougher.
I had booked rooms from the 21st. We arrived on the 21st, but about 12 hours before check-in time. There was space available so we booked an extra night and slept till 10 in the morning.
We had to ask the waitress in the hotel restaurant this morning what day of the week it was. God, I love that—being so far away you can't be sure what day it is.
We had two versions of a dish called char kway teow, which had cockles, chicken bits, sliced fish cake, prawns, red chilis, noodles, and secrets in it. I had the Singapore version which was heavy on soy sauce, and delicious. Joanna had the Penang, which was white.
There's a temple not far from the hotel, so we will stroll in that direction this afternoon.
Today's photo is the view from my hotel room window.
More later.

Dec. 21
Welcome back to Asia, Grasshopper!
See you next Saturday!
Larry 

No comments:

Post a Comment