Monday, April 18, 2016

Hot Time in the Old Town




February 14

St. Valentine’s Day has little influence here. Red Hot Chilli, the restaurant decked out in red for Chinese New Year, is now decked out in red valentines. That’s about the extent of it that I have noticed.

Elsewhere in town, maybe a stray valentine here or there. It just hasn’t caught the Thai Buddist imagination.

As usual, we started the day by going out for coffee and bread to have with breakfast at the hotel.

After that, we strolled through a couple of temple yards, but felt the heat building up fast and went back to the Boonthavon to hide.

I have stopped wearing a jacket and am traveling light, wearing an open shirt over a T. It brings down the number of available pockets, but I can go farther in the heat.

The Sunday Walking Street begins at 4, so we left the Boonthavon about half past.

The Sunday market covers a lot of ground, about four long blocks of Rachadamnone, and the same for the cross street, Propakkloa Road, and a block or two in each direction on Rachapakkinai and the side street by the Three Kings Monument. Some temple yards are involved too, mainly as food courts.



We actually covered most of it. Joanna bought a dress and a scarf, and a cotton pullover with a kangaroo pocket. This is all puckered cotton. The vendors tie it into a knot and stuff it in a bag, and it comes out just fine.

Joanna kept nudging me to buy a pair of loose cotton trousers. She’s concerned because it’s going to be hotter in Cambodia than it is here, so maybe I’ll need to wear different clothes. But I plan to wait until I really need them before I buy anything. I already have more clothes than I need—enough to fill a five-by-five storage cubicle in Clifton. My supply of good vests is running short, that’s all, and I have two in the works.

So far, it seems, I’ve even packed far more clothes than I need here.

As the sun fell, we started to grow hungry. Joanna noticed a sign advertising khao soi, but I explained that there is no way to make that mild. It consists of chicken and noodles in a hot curry made with coconut milk.

According to the sign, it is a northern Thai specialty. I don’t remember seeing it on Thai restaurant menus in New York or New Jersey, so the last time I ate khao soi was probably during my other visit to Chiang Mai, four years ago. But I wasn’t about to take Joanna there.

We found a place a few meters down Jhaban Road that looked disgustingly sterile and advertised “coffee and food.” Besides, the door was closed, which meant the place was air conditioned. It wasn’t the most efficient air conditioning, but it beat sitting outside right then.

Joanna earlier had said she had a taste for spring rolls, and they were on the menu. That and a plate of fried rice with egg were perfect with a Singha. Joanna confined herself to water.

We headed toward the hotel after that, and indigestion hit on the way. I had overeaten and felt a little discomfort. Joanna had it much worse, stomach upset, headache. She woke up next morning still feeling sick and has sworn off fried food forever.

Monday morning all she wanted was a coconut to drink the milk. It is supposed to be soothing for troubled digestion.

We stopped at the U.N., but their coconuts hadn’t arrived yet. We walked along Rathvithi Road and found a place that did have one.

Joanna took it with her up the soi to the Coffee Bar, where I had an Americano.

Joanna didn’t want to eat a thing. The coconut was all she wanted. She was headachy and miserable, so we went back to the Boonthavon for a while.

I had been the one under the weather, either literally or figuratively, and now it was Joanna’s turn. She lay down while I used the computer to catch up on Antonin Scalia’s obit.

After a while, I went out to mail a post card to Karl and Jeanie. Karl likes post cards, and always sends me one when he travels.

First I stopped at the tailor’s shop to try on my new vests, which fit like gloves, so I asked for a little more room, which she said would be no problem. They follow the pattern of a favorite vest that I have pretty much worn out.

The map says there’s a post office not far from the Phra Singh temple. It is easy to find from the Boonthavon: Go down Soi 1 to Rachadamnoen Road (aka Rajadumnern, etc.), and take that all the way to the far end, which faces the Wat Phra Singh. Turn left, onto whatever road that is and continue walking south—but not too fast, or the sun may kill you. Eventually you will see a sign in English for the “national post office.” Go upstairs to the air conditioned room and take a number. Sit and dry off.

The language barrier is easy to cross. I was able to get postage for the card and, after a couple of tries, bought a stamp for another card that Joanna wants to send.

Sunday night on the Walking Street was the farthest distance and the longest time I had walked in days. We had covered all those streets in perhaps three hours.

Friday and Saturday I had been falling apart in less than an hour after a trip around the block. We would get back to the hotel, and the first thing I did was fall into bed and nap.

So of course, now that I was feeling better, it was time to abuse my good health. I mean, what else is it for?

I passed Phra Singh into unfamiliar territory. I was getting thirsty. I wanted a beer. It was prohibition time, between 2 and 5. Some places will and some won’t sell beer then. I remembered what the man at the U.N. said. We put that sign up to please the police, but we sell beer anyway.

But I was nowhere near the U.N., and all I really knew is that my route was the wrong direction to get there. So I calculated, and hoping that all my turns had been 90 degrees, turned right into another unfamiliar street, but at least I was pretty sure it was headed east. The sun was no help. It was practically overhead at that hour. A block or two later, I came to Jhaban Road and was out of the woods.

This is not Harry after being lost. It's an elephant skull displayed in the local history museum in Chiang Mai.



I was hungry, thirsty, and alone. I was a Farang (and still am). Dehydration and hunger notwithstanding, I was exhilarated from having just been lost for a while. You know how it is: if you’re not lost, you haven’t been traveling hard enough.

Then I remembered the khao soi joint that Joanna saw. So I said to myself, Wow, self, let’s see if we can find it. And so I did, talking to myself all the way, about not falling down and how good it felt to do this in the middle of the day and not be dead. And I hoped they would be selling beer.

The shop is on the corner of Jhaban and Intrawarorot Road. I have no idea how to say that, but it is the side street next to the Three Kings Monument.

The lady handed me a menu, but I already knew what to order. I got the big bottle of beer Chang with no hesitation.

The lady put crispy fried noodles into the khao soi. The broth is coconut milk spiced with chilis. There were also soft noodles and a chicken leg in the bowl. The chicken was so tender that chopsticks pulled the meat off the bone.

The soup was sweet, savory, and hot all at once. So there I was—lost and found, consuming fiery goodness, working through two-thirds of a liter of beer in the shade. I felt triumphant.

It wasn’t a long walk to get from there to the Boonthavon. When I came in, Joanna was feeling a bit better, but not all better. She had taken a Chinese herbal remedy, which seems to have done her some good.

I was ready for a nap now, myself.

For dinner we went to the tried and true destination, Eden, right around the corner. The lady, who cooks the Thai food, understands what Joanna wants and gets it right every time, light on the salt, no chilis, but full of flavor nonetheless, so we go there often.

Joanna headed to the hotel straight from dinner, while I went to 7-Eleven for supplies. Our usual yogurt was out of stock, and while the contents are fully identified on the label, the labels are only in Thai. So I asked the girls at the counter for help.

They weren’t familiar with the word “yogurt,” so one of them went with me. I want plain yogurt, no jam, no flavoring. Not sure she got that. I pointed to the blank space on the shelf. This is what I usually buy. That helped.

She showed me two containers of another brand. One label was light blue, the other darker blue. The light blue had sugar, she said, and the dark had none. All right. Kop oon Kop. The dark label is what I want. At least, I think so. I haven’t eaten it yet. That will be the first adventure tomorrow.

And now, as St. Valentine would say, Love to all and to all a good night.

Harry




No comments:

Post a Comment