Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hello, Holland



Flying Soon
April 19

Hello, All.

For those who have forgotten and those who don't care, I'm sitting in Newark Liberty Terminal B waiting for Joanna's cab to arrive. I came by train from the office. We're headed for Amsterdam on a 6:20 flight.

We'll have breakfast at Heathrow tomorrow morning and get a connecting flight to Amsterdam. Our hotel is 400 meters from the central rail station in Amsterdam, but train service to central from the airport isn't running tomorrow. There are shuttle buses to the next rail station down the line and there are cabs.

Funny thing here. Two men in black have contraband-sniffing dog on a leash. For all their training, they are still dogs. A guy came up the escalator with his pet, who must have been flying with him, and the cop dog let loose like any mutt in the park. 

"Damn you, this is my airport. Get your ass out of here or I’ll chew it off." All this in dog, mind, so the translation is a little loose.

More later.

Joanna takes a break at Heathrow.



April 19

Have a great time! You’ll be there as Queen Beatrix relinquishes the throne and her son becomes king.

Beatrice


April 20

Contraband or bomb sniffers? How can you tell?

Just got into Bangkok myself, staying at my usual haunt on Soi Nana. 

Larry


April 21

There are dogs everywhere—airports, bus terminals, train stations. They are trained to alert their handlers—usually policemen dressed in black—if they smell certain substances. I think they are mainly on guard for explosives.

There are periodic announcements in Penn Station that you are not supposed to pet them.

There is also an air-testing machine in Penn Station that I pass every morning. That is supposed to frustrate people who want to release sarin or mustard gas in the Jersey Transit waiting area.

Harry


April 21

Sounds like life during wartime!

Larry


April 22

It is.

It is supposed to give us confidence in the government.

Harry


Jet-Lagged in Amsterdam
April 21

This is Harry alive, well, and unbelievably sober in Amsterdam.

We flew in on British Airways. I forget why, maybe it was cheaper, but more likely it was the best timed flight I could find out of Newark.

You have to pay an extra $25 or $50 to choose a seat on BA, so even though I booked our tickets at the same time, they put Joanna and me in the cramped center jumpseat in different rows.

I don’t remember a more uncomfortable flight. So no sleep.

I got a bit of shut-eye in the hour from Heathrow to Schiphol. But hey, it got us to Amsterdam.

Here is the first real reminder on this trip that I was somewhere else.

For this week only, maybe because they knew I was coming, they shut down direct rail service from the airport to the city. They are doing some kind of maintenance. Not to worry, though. They put you on a bus to the next station down the line and you’re good to go. It adds maybe five or ten minutes to the whole trip.

In the States, Amtrak can’t get a train from Washington to New York on time, even when there isn’t any disruption.

The Season Star Hotel is way overpriced, but hey, it’s in Amsterdam. It’s a ten-minute stroll to Dam Square, a tourist mecca. And that’s where we started.



We went down an old narrow street full of clothing boutiques, head shops and sex stores. At the dam the usual cast of characters was there: Spider Man, Freddy the slasher, Poseidon, all taking huggy pictures with children. There was shirtless guy doing some kind of stunts inside a circle of people taking photos with cellphones. But I couldn’t see quite what that was about.




We had lunch at a bar called Majestic on the square. It had the tables in the sun and so was packed outside. We went in and sat by the window.  We had cheese croquettes and some other kind of croquettes that the menu said were traditional Dutch style. Maybe that was supposed to be a warning. But hey, this is Amsterdam.

And after all, they tasted pretty good, since the last food I’d had was a portion of chicken curry over the Atlantic.

The beer was a brand called Bavaria and nothing to write home about, but I will anyway. It was a lager, a little on the sweet side, but reasonably palatable.

Best of all was the window and watching all the people, local and foreign, wandering around outside. Here’s a hint of what it looked like. the marble obelisk is the National Monument in memory of the World War II years. Nazis occupied the Netherlands from 1940 until 1945. 


 We strolled back to the hotel for a rest.

Went out again around five, I guess. We were wandering around a canal called Singel between the hotel and the dam, and suddenly I realized: I’ve been here before. It was last August and the tables were set up on the bridge, so the place looked a little different. There is a striking statue of a guy who looks like Einstein, or Puccini, but isn’t. I think the name on the base is Mutatuli, or something like that. (Maybe it is Einstein or Puccini, and it’s a joke, but I didn’t get it.)

So I asked Joanna, are you hungry? Boy, was she. I could tell by the look on her face, but she had been following this crazy old man around a strange city and just rolling with it and not complaining.

The bar on one corner only had bar food, so we crossed the street to Villa Zeezicht. I was hoping the name doesn’t translate into English as “sea-sick,” and we went inside. 

After the croquettes, we weren’t up to pot roast. We shared a Caesar salad with an anchovy on top. Joanna had lentil soup and I had onion. But whether or not these were traditional Dutch versions of the soups, they are worth writing about.

The lentil soup had a floating dollop of sour cream, which mixed in nicely. The herbs were completely different from what I’d expected. I can’t quite name what was in it, but the flavors were familiar, but in an unusual combination.

The onion soup came with the traditional bread and melted cheese garnish, but there was tomato in the broth. That gave it a very interesting twist.

The only short beer they had was Brand (but not Brand Urtyp, Larry; the waiter didn’t know at first what I was asking for). This was a lager not unlike Bavaria and so was OK. I am behaving and a bit jet-lagged, so I didn’t want to order a bottle of Duvel or another strong ale, which they also had. 

Plenty of time for that later.

We strolled out of there past Mutatuli and across some canals I sort of know: the Herengracht, Keisersgracht, and Prinzengracht. Right on Prinzengracht took us to Haarlemmerstraat. This is where I was supposed to wait for Larry last summer and got lost walking in a straight line.

This time keeping my way was easy because it was getting dark and I was sober. 

Haarlemmerstraat changes its name at Singel but comes straight to the corner nearest our hotel.

I didn’t even stop for a nightcap at the bar next door.

Good night, all.


April 21

Favorite line: "The beer was a brand called Bavaria and nothing to write home about, but I will anyway."

Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment