Friday, May 10, 2013

Still Northwesterly


That's Puget Sound behind my hat.

Wing and a Prayer
March 23

I had picked up a brochure in China Town on Monday for a museum called the Wing. So that’s where I went yesterday.

The full name is The Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience. It is housed in the East Kong Yick building, a former hotel where many immigrants from Asia and the Pacific islands first roomed when they came to America.

The man it’s named for, Wing Luke, came to the States as a young boy in the early ’30s and about 30 years later became the first Asian-born city councilman of Seattle. There’s a photo of him as acting mayor signing, in English and Chinese, a law banning discrimination in housing. He died at 40 in a plane crash over the Cascades, so his legend was sealed.

China Town is part of a larger International District of Seattle. There is a remnant of a Little Japan to the north, I’m told, and there is a strong representation of Vietnamese in the neighborhood, too. The menu at the Ho Ho, where I had lunch Monday, is in Chinese, English, and Vietnamese.

                            Dragon plaque with real noodles. 

When you come up out of the light rail station at the International District/China Town stop you see the gate to China Town. It’s not traditional, though. According to John, my guide at the Wing, it was put up recently. I think he said 2005 or 06.


 The museum is through the gate and straight up South King Street. The first two floors have open exhibits. Some are art works; others are devoted to cultural values of the different peoples. Many deal with tribulations of immigrants—including the internment of the Japanese during World War II and the exploitation of Filipino immigrants in the canneries of Alaska.

There are also exhibits where people can leave personal notes. The Letter Cloud is an installation in one of the building’s lightwells. It consists of folded papers, some blank, some written, representing the communication across the Pacific between immigrants and those they left behind.

The most interesting part is the third floor, which is accessible only with a guide. Enter John.

The building dates back to 1910 or earlier, when a small room with a bed cost a quarter. Of course, that could come to a fifth of a guy’s wages. As one of the exhibits said, many of the newcomers had been doctors or lawyers in the old country, but here they were busboys and laborers. The rooms have been furnished but little else has been done to the interior, except to make sure the old floors are safe, John said.


We went into a little room with a single bed, wardrobe, and bench. This would be an immigrant’s first home in the U.S. His kids might be teachers or businessmen. Or like Wing Luke, a lawyer and political reformer.

There was a room where a family association met—the Gee How Oak Tin Family Association. I remember this because the association still exists, in a building of its own about a block from the Wing. The table cover is actually a wall hanging and would not have been on the table when they met there. I loved the box of firecrackers.




The Wing was very moving. Even I can’t think of anything wise-ass to say about it.

There is an entire grocery store—the Yick Fung Co.—attached to the museum. It was originally a block down the street, and when the owner, a local benefactor, reluctantly retired at the age of 90, he left the whole thing, merchandise and all, to the Wing. Besides Asian groceries, he sold steamship tickets, so there’s a counter for that in the back. Recently arrived immigrants often bunked on the upper level of the store until they could find a place to stay.

The narrow street that runs past the side of the museum is Canton Alley.


I strolled from the Wing to the Pyramid Brewery pub. The Pyramid Seattle IPA was good and hoppy. Discord was a little sweeter and gets its name because it combines elements of a black ale—a porter or a English stout, say—with those of an IPA.

I was comparing travel notes with the guy next to me at the bar. He had traveled to New York to see the U.S. Open. He’s been to the city a few times and likes it. He is even thinking of moving to Brooklyn.

Now, that sounded almost funny to me. He’s the first person I’ve met out here who expressed any desire to live anywhere but Seattle.

I don’t know what the attraction is, but I have to believe there is one or more. It’s a lovely place, sure, and I’ve only been here a week. I have a feeling that things here are freer and easier than many other places. I’m in Starbucks right now, drinking expensive coffee and using free WiFi. There’s a man on an easy chair who just finished feeding an infant. Now he’s put the kid in a carrier and he is leaving. Even the babies out here are mellow.

I stopped at F.X. McRory’s Steak, Oyster, and Chop House. I didn’t have room for a chop, but did go through half a dozen Pacific oysters and a half-pound sirloin. I had that with a Washington State syrah. Thanks for the tip, Larry. It was delicious, and strong enough to stand up to the steak.

It was music night at Bernard’s, the bar in the cellar of the Hotel Seattle. They were local guys playing for tips. The opener was Joe Motor. At least, he says that’s his name. He’s a long silver-haired dude who was in the Seattle punk scene more than 30 years ago. He did a punk version of “The Unchained Melody.”

He was followed by a mournful guy who made me want to yell, “Dustin, lighten up.” But hey, they were playing only for fun and tips, so I gave him a few bucks.

Then Bob, another veteran of the old punk scene, took off his knee brace and set aside his cane to do a set.

Except for “Unchained Melody,” I didn’t recognize any of the songs these singers did.

I don’t listen to recorded music often. About the only time is when I’m in the car. But I do like to see and hear musicians work.

A fourth singer got up, but I was pretty well blitzed by then, so I left him and the bartender a tip and headed for the room. I know I got there because that’s where I woke up.

It’s about 11 now, so I have to sign off. Checkout time is noon and I don’t want to be late. I have a day to kill before I need to go to the airport. If I don’t lose my computer again, I may send something tonight or tomorrow morning.

Bye, all.

`
Mural at Bernard's. Nobody seems 
to know what it signifies or even 
what the scroll says. Any educated 
(or ignorant) guesses out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment